Wednesday, August 13, 2008

One week

Today is a week from the surgery! I should probably be happier, but I am still in a lot of pain. I went to see the surgeon this morning and he said everything looked fine, and he put bands on me. So now my mouth is definitely straight but the pain increased like hell. I expected more from the visit, but it's clear that he does so many surgeries like mine that I am just one on a million patients for him. Nevertheless, I still like him. I did not mention in my previous blogs that all the hospital team was great with me both on a professional and a personal point of view.
I have one big concern which keeps me from trying to be relaxed and find peace of mind. Sometimes when I swallow the nerve on the left and low side hurts and it also happens when I try to look up. I think it's the nerve because when I got 4 teeth extracted, the doctor told me he would numb my nerve first and when he gave me the shot there I felt this same kind of pain. I know, I should have mentioned to the doctor today, but it was not as much often as now with the bands, and I was so focused on the feeling of my new bands that I completely forgot. I think I'll ask my husband to call him tomorrow and explain to him...I can't stay like this for 2 more weeks, that is when I have my next appointment.
I'll post new pictures soon, at least it's cool now to have a straight bite!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay!! Congrats on your 1-week post-op anniversary. The worst is hopefully over, but you're not completely out of the woods yet, so hang in there with that pain.

I didn't quite have the same issue that you're experiencing with swallowing, but sometimes my jaw would have muscle spasms, which were random, quick, and painful. It definitely wasn't fun, either. Hopefully, next week your OS will be able to give you something to manage the pain.

Anyway, I can't wait to see some photos! And I hope you're eating well, too.

:0)
M

cookieyum said...

The surgeon told me after Kelley's surgery something about the two nerves that run under the eyes near the check bones on both sides of the face. I was trying to absorb everything he was saying to me but I remember that he was happy that they did'nt need to be moved or something like that, sorry I cant remember exactly what he said. I know nerve pain is very painful and they have medication made for nerve pain, like for pinched nerves. (my husband had a pinched nerve in his back)
Feel better soon.
Mo-Mo

Kam said...

I also had a strange feeling looking up, like a tightness. I still do, but it doesn't bother me much when the bands are off. It's also been going away with time. Swallowing also gets much easier, in my first week I had a hard time swallowing, too.
And I know exactly what you mean, expecting more from the appointments, but leaving feeling a little un-fulfilled. I guess the doctors really don't think of it much when they do so many, whereas we only do this surgery once.

Feel better soon! Ibuprofen helped me a bunch with the rubber band pains :)

holski said...

I'm sorry to hear you are still having pain. =( The worst is hopefully over for you and I hope the time starts to go by faster.

I remember in the first few weeks after surgery, my vision was blurry sometimes, like when I watched tv... strange. It went away though thankfully!

Lori G. said...

Congratulations on one week! Swallowing is an ever changing adventure. In the first week, I had a lot of difficulty swallowing and it hurt. During week two, if felt like I was going to swallow the roof of my mouth. Now in week three, I am swallowing normally. If you continue to have pain, get in contact with your surgeon. I'm sure he can prescribe something to ease the pain.

Anonymous said...

I hope the pain is under control by now. You're being very brave!

mylene